Monday, January 6, 2014

Lesson #7: The Dance!


We started out reviewing what we had learned of the dance. We reviewed section by section. I had them listen to the music so they would know their cues to move onto the next section. It would have been better to have counts but teaching them counting would have taken a whole other class so we had to just stick with lyrics and accents in the music to know when to transition. I then taught them the last section of the dance that added in the last concept we had learned. Then we put it all together!
Next it was time to practice. My goal by the end of class was for them to be able to do it on their own instead of having to watch me every time. I wanted them to know it well enough that when I left, they would remember it and could still practice. We ran through the dance many, many times and I wore them out! Each time I would help them less and less until they had it on their own. The last time we did it, I filmed it and just let them do it. They did a great job! It's always rewarding to be able to see your hard work show and the kids did just that! 

At the end, I asked them to raise their hand and tell me their favorite parts and favorite things they learned from the 7 weeks I had been coming. I got some great answers and it was really interesting to see what they liked the most. I then told them how wonderful this experience has been for me. They were wonderful students and I learned so much about myself and my teaching! I handed out treats I brought for them and we all took a class picture together. They then asked me to dance for them for a minute since they had never seen me dance so I did the combination I had choreographed for my technique class. Mrs. Washburn then gave me letters they had each written to me. This is the best present a teacher can get! It made me so happy to read them when I got home! They were very insightful and very funny! 

I talked at the end with Mrs. Washburn for a moment to go over a few things and to thank her. She was just wonderful to work with! I am going to miss both her and her students a lot! ArtsBridge has been an incredible opportunity for me. I am excited to apply the valuable lessons I have learned to future experiences.
 
This past year I have also blogged for BYU's McKay School of Education and I recently wrote a blog about my ArtsBridge experience! If you would like to view this article, please visit:

 Love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment