Monday, January 6, 2014

Lesson #5: Personal Narrative


Because of Thanksgiving break, it had been a while since I'd seen the students. I decided to talk about personal narrative for this lesson. They hadn't started talking about it in class yet, so I made it an introduction to the concept. I told them a personal narrative is as simple as a true story about yourself. I wanted to start out a bit different, so I asked Mrs. Washburn to have them all bring a piece of paper and a pencil with them. We started out doing one of my favorite English/writing exercises: a free write. I gave them the sentence, “During Thanksgiving break, I...” and told them to finish it. I timed them for 3 minutes and told them to not ever stop writing. Even if your mind started going in a new direction, just keep going! They could write down names of people they saw over Thanksgiving break, things they did, what they ate, etc. 

After 3 minutes, we left our papers and spread out on the floor. We discussed abstraction. What does it mean to abstract something? In dance, you can take one move, change it slightly, and it can become a whole new thing. We focused on 4 different ways you can abstract: level, body part, speed, and size. We then tried some simple, everyday gestures as examples. Show me how you would drink a cup of water. What would it look like? You normally use your hand. But what if you drink a cup of water with your foot? Or what if you drank a giant cup of water, how would you show that? Or maybe kicking a soccer ball really fast or really slow? I told them that this is what we were going to do with their Thanksgiving break activities that they wrote about. In abstraction, it's okay if others can't tell what you are doing, as long as you know. It doesn't even have to look like what your original idea was!

They then chose just one of the items from their free write that they could create movement out of. I gave them 5 minutes to figure out 3 moves to show your experience. Because they were very focused, I gave them a choice. If it was a long experience, they could do 3 different moves and abstract each one. Or, they could take the same move and abstract it in 3 different ways. I reminded them to not act it out but abstract it. It's a dance class, not an acting class. No matter which way they chose to abstract, they had to have 3 moves by the end of the 5 minutes.

When everyone was ready, they got in groups of 3, told their group their story from Thanksgiving, and then taught them their 3 moves. By the end of teaching, each person in the group would know a total of 9 moves. They were encouraged to help each other if a member of their group was having a hard time abstracting.

Then was performance time! I was very impressed! I saw some great things from a few groups! It was easy to see who had chosen 3 different moves and who had chosen the same move and abstracted it 3 different ways. They really enjoyed this activity and it was the most rewarding for me to watch as a teacher because of how well they grasped the concept this time. I think that they loved how they came up with everything and it related back to them. It was their original ideas from their life, their own movement, their own way of abstracting, and their own group work. 

After their performances, we started learning a combination that I came up with. Mrs. Washburn wanted a dance that they could practice and work on after I was gone that would help them remember what they learned from this experience. I was excited to do this! I wanted to add in both fun movement as well as a concept we learned from every lesson we have had. We started out the dance with body shapes, as this is what we worked on the very first class. We talked a little bit about music and timing so that we could create shapes to the beats of the music. I chose the song “I Got a Feeling” from Black-Eyed Peas as it is clean but upbeat and recognizable for the students. We only got through the shapes today, but we will work on more next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment